Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Episode 239 - Macross the Transformers Saga

Episode 239: Macross the Transformers Saga

Well enough hanging around and delivering plot points. Time to go back to killing space robots.

Imagine, if you will, the potential that might be in a Macross/Transformers crossover. Now imagine that said crossover simply consists of crossing out the word “Zentraedi” and writing “Decepticon” over it in crayon. That’s right, while they may be a different type of soldier warlord from deep space, the fic rigidly enforces pre-existing dialogue, scenes and characterization. Sure there might be some small changes like the odd horrific aviation accident or floating hat, but by the time the crossover starts, you’ll be wishing the fic was over! So instead focus on the intense rivalry between Roy Fokker and Axle and ask yourself the big question that comes from it: who is Axle and why do I care anyway?

Riffers: Dan, Rebecca Bartley, Tsuneo Tateo and Rick R. Mortis
Written by: Zogster and Rick R.

7 comments:

  1. The premise of this story seemed calculated to get me to comment on it (after a period of not commenting, I admit), and the timing might have been good too with that recent news of a comic to cross over Robotech and Voltron... I suppose I took note of this story deliberately invoking "Macross" (and then wondered about it including "Decepticons" instead of "Destrons"), but started noting various "Robotech-isms" well before you pointed out "Jack Archer"; pointing out all of them might not have been that funny, of course. Generally, the "riffing" did seem pretty good to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It struck me that the fic couldn't decide if it was Robotech or Macross, and the decided to go "stuff it" and say both.

      As the forthcoming comic is coming out of Dynamite entertainment, I have no doubt that it will be quite bad, and might end up featured here one way or another

      Delete
    2. I have no first-hand experience to confirm or try to deny the assorted criticisms of Dynamite Entertainment I've already heard, but I do have the vague suspicion the comic might be more a matter of "Robotech characters in a very Voltron-flavoured setting" than anything... So far as "new Robotech product at last" goes, it is a bit peculiar. You have, of course, written MSTings of two previous "starting points" for Robotech comics...

      Delete
  2. Wasn't Jack Archer from the video game?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Correct; Jack was the hero of the Robotech: Battlecry video game. Amusingly, in it he comes off as something of a Gary Stu character himself, being inserted into pre-existing Robotech scenes, being generally praised for his awesomeness, getting his own custom Veritech and so on

      Delete
    2. In that case I'm not sure if he's better here or how it ended for him in the game. I read the fic, so I know I lost.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete